Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Release the Endorphins!

I was unprepared this morning when at least three of the new sixth graders answered "nothing" when asked what they liked best about middle school so far. I tried to take it in stride as I read their replies, offering what I hoped was the right balance between genuine concern, a gentle push to dig a little deeper, and the knowledge that everyone will have plenty of opportunities to give more positive responses as the year goes on. 

Later in the class, which was our first block schedule of the year, I introduced the brain break procedures: Each activity is designed to take about 3-4 minutes, no one is required to participate, but anyone who does can pick a piece of candy once they are settled and back to work. 

Well. 

They were all in for that! 

And a little while after, when I was walking around, checking in on their writing and handing out the sweets, one student was positively beaming. "This is officially my favorite class and you are my favorite teacher," she gushed.

"See what a little brain break and a Jolly Rancher can do?" I agreed. "Maybe now you can go back and change that Nothing answer."

No comments:

Post a Comment