Thursday, September 1, 2022

Come Back!

This is the time of year when I most miss my former students. The new kids are sweet, but still? Strangers, and the kids from last year are a little lost as they adjust to their new teachers and schedules. So, we kind of gravitate toward each other.

Today, a couple of of seventh graders stopped by on their way to lunch. At that time, my sixth graders are just going through their starting routine-- posting their answers to the daily question and getting ready to go through the replies, but I enthusiastically invited them in.

"Guys!" I interrupted the class. "We have a couple of visitors from seventh grade! They were in your situation one year ago-- do you have any questions for them?"

The room was silent for a few beats. I heard one sixth grader turn to another and say, "They look so old!"

I was surprised that, when the class finally warmed up, all of their questions were about seventh grade. The older kids answered gamely; to them this was a logical line of inquiry.

"Okay, one more," I announced a few minutes in. "These kids have to go to lunch! Don't you want to know anything about this year?" I suggested. 

The student I had overheard raised his hand. "How can we make sure we don't look really old next year?" He smirked at the guy next to him.

The seventh graders didn't miss a beat. "Skin care," One of them shook her head.

"It's never too early," agreed her friend.

The exchange made me miss them even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment