Sunday, August 21, 2022

Unpunished No More

The car was sluggish to start when I ran to the store yesterday, but I thought little of it when I cut the ignition and ran my errands. But my heart beat a little harder in my chest when it did not turn over right away after my first stop. And then, when the back lift gate wouldn't open after my final stop, I was pretty worried, but, like a trooper, that Subaru engine roared to life after a click and a grind. There was beeping from the rear hatch all the short way home, and I knew that there was something to attend to, despite the lack of battery warning light on my dash.

I remembered how, late last Tuesday night, when we returned to the parking lot after the ball game, a couple of young men flagged us down. Their Subaru battery was dead, and they wondered if we would be so kind as to let them jump it. I willingly pulled over, and in just a few minutes, their car was running. "I'm glad we could help," I said when they thanked us.

"You know what's weird?" one of them told us as he coiled up the jumper cables. "The last time we were here there were some people in a Subaru and their battery was dead. We helped them then, and now we need it."

"I hope you're not paying that forward!" I laughed, and we were on our way.

Well...

They were.

No comments:

Post a Comment