Thursday, August 4, 2022

Location Services

There's a bit of a lag in the weather app that I favor. Not a fan of push notifications, I'm kind of choosy when it comes to who I'll allow to interrupt me with whatever their algorithm deems important. But weather? Eh. 

It's sometimes helpful to know that rain is starting or ending, or that a winter storm warning is in place for our region. But that lag! For days when I am traveling I receive alerts for home, and then when it finally adjusts, I get notifications about the place I've been, not where I am now. 

There is an upside though. When I'm away, I like knowing when my garden has been watered by the rain, and sometimes knowing the urgent weather information for the beach or Maine or Buffalo makes the transition from there to here a little easier. 

Tonight as I drove home from the grocery store through an unexpected downpour, I was unsurprised when my phone beeped, but as the storm let up and I checked the update, I saw that rain was stopping in Atlanta, too. Knowing that my sister was looking out on the same type of weather made me smile.

1 comment: