Tuesday, August 2, 2022

When Life Gives You Squash

 It hasn’t been a good year for my garden. 

I suppose I should be prepared for off-times, but the bounty of the last several seasons has spoiled me. This morning, when I returned to my garden after a week away, I had to toss more rotting tomatoes into the compost than I was able to harvest. The birds peck a few holes and the heat does the rest. After some inspection and maintenance, it seemed like the only thing thriving was butternut squash. There must be a dozen full-sized squashes ripening all over the garden where the single vine I planted has spread rampantly. But along with squash? Come squash blossoms, a treat limited only to the growing season. 

And so that is the harvest we are enjoying tonight, stuffed and fried and served with a sauce prepared from the few tomatoes I culled from the birds.

C’est le vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment