Wednesday, August 10, 2022

The One Where I Try Not to Be a Wimp

I participated in another poetry workshop this afternoon. 

Even though it was offered free to anyone who heard about it, there were only 5 other people beside the poet and the coordinator from the museum. For me, that meant nowhere to hide. They asked us to keep our cameras on, and we were strongly encouraged to share our ideas and our writing, a situation I found very stressful. 

Of course I used my discomfort to empathize with my students when they are in a similar situation, especially one of my conception. I also used it to ask myself what the big deal was. I didn't know any of these folks, and they were super nice and very supportive. There were some amazing contributions from my fellow participants, and I learned a lot in an hour. 

Listening to the poetry they composed in 10 minutes humbled me, and it was constructive not to be the most accomplished writer in the room, an experience I usually only have when my writing group meets. (Since I spend most of my writing time with sixth graders and all!) 

There are still 2 more sessions, both on ekphrastic poetry inspired by the Reckoning: Protest. Defiance. Resilience exhibit at the National Museum of African American History and Culture, and I think I might be brave enough to do them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment