Monday, August 8, 2022

Fly Away

We are six years late to the party, but finally into Stranger Things. Over the weekend we finished the first season, and I have little doubt the show will be at the top of our play list until we catch up with all of you fans. 

It's hard to say why I have resisted the series for so long, other than its main hook, that 80s thing, is a little off-putting to me. I did not love the 80s. Gasp if you must, but a combination of challenging personal situations made it a very tough decade for me, and so I don't have much nostalgia for it. 

But if there was one detail in Stranger Things of life back then that resonated with me, it was not the music, or the fashion, or the clunky technology, and even though I love a banana seat bike, it wasn't those either, it was the simple presence of a mix tape. Just seeing the hand-lettered cassette took me back to those pre-playlist days when, if you really cared? You spent hours finding the perfect songs and meticulously putting them in order: dropping the needle on the right track on the vinyl LP while simultaneously hitting play AND record on the tape deck. 

It was an art. And the products of that labor were treasures. In certain situations, you couldn't give a more meaningful gift. Even if the tape was for yourself, listening to it later it was always like a little time capsule, a trip back to who and where you were when you made it.

When we were kids in Saudi Arabia, western music was not readily available to us. We could hear British pop traveling 17 miles across the Arabian Gulf to us from Radio Bahrain, and once a week we might hear American Top 40 on our nearest Voice of America station. In any case, we had to wait until we went back to the States to buy records, but it didn't stop us from making mix tapes. We would record from the radio, or from another tape deck snugged up to ours, or borrow records from our friends, but we had mix tapes. 

And in the late 70s and early 80s? All of our cassettes had at least one song by Olivia Newton John. I was so sad to hear the news that she died today. Maybe it was nostalgia that made me search her discography, but when I did I found the last thing she released, The Window in the Wall, a song she sang with her daughter last year. Even at 72, having battled cancer for decades, her voice was as strong and warm as ever. I will miss knowing she is in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment