Friday, August 19, 2022

Painted Ponies

My first year of teaching coincided with a textbook adoption for English, and so one day during the pre-service week a custodian delivered several heavy boxes of books to my room.  Held within the light blue covers, was a reading book much like the ones I had had 20 years earlier when I was in sixth grade. And although there was something in me that wanted to just open that teacher edition and read the script like my teachers had always done, I was a student of "whole language" and believed with all my professional heart that students learned by immersion and engagement in authentic reading and writing experiences. It was my role to provide such situations and coach each student as she or he uncovered the meaning in the transaction between themselves and the text.

To be honest? Despite the edu-jargon, I still think learning works mostly in that way. A teacher can give lots of information and support, both directly and on demand, but the students make their own meaning. And there are many ways to guide them to that understanding, which I know from 29 years in the biz. And that cliche that education is cyclical? 

Well, friends, a custodian is scheduled to deliver several heavy boxes to my classroom next week.

(Two days down, 198 to go!)

No comments:

Post a Comment