Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Just Like Us

I like all these videos on social media lately of celebrities singing, reading poetry, and just talking from their homes. The content is... okay. I have definitely come to realize just how important editors and scripts really are, though. (And I won't even address the no makeup thing. Just. Wow.)

What I like best about these recordings is the inside of the houses. It's fascinating to see the paint, the furniture, the floors, the cabinets in the kitchen, the art on the walls, the knick knacks on the shelves. Kind of like walking in the evening and catching a glimpse of your neighbors through the light in their windows, it reminds you that everyone has a whole life as real to them as yours is to you.

Like one of Heidi's students said at the beginning of their first teleclass, his mind completely boggled, as images of his classmates and teachers tiled the screen. "Hey! Everyone is in a house!"

2 comments:

  1. So true, Tracey. I was fascinated by Trevor Noah's background, especially the traditional African globes his mother gave him - you should check it out if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the clutter on Kristen Bell's dresser--I'm right there with you! When I had my students on video chat, I wanted to say, "Thanks for letting me in your home!" but thought it might sound creepy.

    ReplyDelete