Monday, March 23, 2020

The Fuzzy Head Prevails

I must have heard the patter of rain in my sleep last night, because I woke up thinking about foul weather gear. My rain coat, some tights under a pair of old nylon track pants, and my Bean boots were part of the plan as I jumped out of bed determined to carry on my new routine of longer dog walks in the morning. A cup of coffee, and I was good to go.

As I pulled my hood up, I noticed that my dog, Lucy, had other ideas. Rather than meeting me at the door, she was back in bed. Nature and her curiosity won her over, though, and I leashed her up and stepped out into a cold and pelting rain, ready to show what hearty stock I am, seize the day, and walk several miles through the elements.

But once she had taken care of her business, my dog balked at going any farther, literally giving me the side eye to show what she thought of my plan. When I insisted, tugging the leash, she lowered her head, willing the collar to slip loose. And so we stood in a cold, wet stand off, until I gave in and we returned to the warmth of our house.

Animal instinct has to count for something.

4 comments:

  1. Haha. Aww. Yeah, sometimes they give us signs and we may as well follow. Here's to tomorrow being a new day with more affable weather and a more willing walking partner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, hoping for a sunnier tomorrow and happy dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No surprise- Lucy knows best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you got a nice, long walk with her today. She's no fool, but then neither are you.

    ReplyDelete