Saturday, March 21, 2020

What We Can Do

We were doing a deep scrub of the kitchen and dining room when I took a soapy cloth to a couple of candle sticks that had been sitting on our sideboard for literally years. The silver plate polished nicely, yielding to my elbow grease. We should use these more, I thought as I replaced them, thinking then of Eleanor Roosevelt's words, It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

And isn't that what many of us have been doing? Long walks, a sparkling clean house, and apple pie-- that's what the eighth day of this crisis brought us. And who knows what tomorrow will be like, but tonight? There will be candlelight.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I said "Simple, but poignant." Then I looked up the word poignant, just to be sure, and realized that was the wrong word.

    Take 3: simple, yet powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Tomorrow we shall dine with candlelight.

    ReplyDelete