Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Twenty Questions

"I met someone who knows you," one of my colleagues told me today.

"Who was it?" I asked.

"You like games," he shrugged, "let's see if you can figure it out."

I laughed because I do like games. "Let's go!"

"She taught math here about 12 years ago," he started.

"That's it?" I said. "That's the only clue I get?"

"She knows you, and she used to teach with the assistant principal who moved to the other middle school. They were on the same team."

"Does she know me?" asked another veteran teacher who happened to be listening.

"She didn't mention you," he reported. "Or you either," he bobbed his chin at another longtimer.

"Hmmm," I thought for a minute. "Was it--?" I mentioned a name, but my colleague's face went blank, and he furrowed his brow. 

"I don't actually remember her name," he confessed. "That's why I wanted you to guess."

"Okay, then," I shook my head, preparing to approach the third rail of interpersonal relationships in the workplace. "What did she look like?"

5 comments:

  1. The line where your colleague revealed that he didn't actually remember the person's name made me laugh out loud! What a fun story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did she look like - always a risky question! This made me laugh and also made me try to guess who it could be about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you ended it and didn't give us reader the actual answer. You made me visualize this conversation happening, which made it ejoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of dialogue to share this funny story! Great opening also.

    ReplyDelete