Saturday, March 28, 2020

On the Case

I like puzzles and mysteries, and escape rooms? Are my jam. So I have been curious to check out some of the companies who send you episodic mystery boxes that you and your crew can work together to solve. But, their expense has always seemed a bit prohibitive, and it's been easy to shrug them off as too time consuming to fit my schedule.

Until last week, when I found myself with quite a bit a spare time on my hands and a little too much time to think about things I couldn't solve. That's when I finally placed my order for a murder mystery in six "episodes".

The box arrived earlier this week, but it wasn't until this morning that Heidi and I dug in (mostly because Heidi was holding out for an official "murder board" that we could use to track the suspects and clues. I finally convinced her to just take a look through the evidence, compromising with a stack of index cards, a legal pad, and a small 12x12 bulletin board with some push pins.

Our first job was to identify the murder weapon, using the documents and the link to the online dossier that were in the box. I'm sorry to report that it was a little too easy, although there were several clues and facts and a couple of codes we had to break that will probably come in handy later. At any rate, we emailed our solution and the next box is on the way.

It was enough fun that I looked into another company just to get an idea of their games, and I found that they have a 2 week backlog of orders. I guess great minds think alike.

5 comments:

  1. I've also thought those boxes were too expensive. I think you were smart to splurge a bit during this time to explore one. I hope the next box challenges you gamers a bit more than the first. Maybe it was a warm up? Fingers crossed! Thanks also for sharing a good way to spend some time right now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds totally cool - great minds, indeed. I love this concept and will explore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear puzzle sales are surging, but this sounds even cooler. Nice that Heidi's in on the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it wasn't really that easy, and you and Heidi are simply super-sleuths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "... a couple of codes we had to break that will probably come in handy later" sounds delightfully daunting!

    ReplyDelete