Monday, March 9, 2020

Maybe Not

Our students are writing children's stories as the summative task for the fiction unit. After giving them the tools and knowledge to analyze plot, setting, and character, we have them create their own character and give him or her a problem to solve. They might also invent an antagonist or a sidekick to hinder or help the hero.

In order to have a solid start, there is a character questionnaire based on one that Nancie Atwell uses in her writers workshop, and today was the day when students started to flesh out their protagonists.

"Can I have my character be on one of the planes from 9/11?" a young writer asked me.

I frowned. "It's supposed to be a children's story," I reminded him.

"It's history," he replied. "Kids need to know history."

I looked at him doubtfully.

"It will definitely be a children's story," he assured me.

I raised my eyebrows quizzically.

"I'm going to make it rhyme!" he promised.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my... They are too young, that is why. They can not relate to how heavy this really is for everyone who lived through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This subject came up today in conversation with teachers; we were reflecting on events that have shaped our current students. Rhyming is one way to cope with tough stuff, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That was not what I would have expected your student to say. How do you think he’ll do with the character development?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting - I wonder how many past historical events another generation has unpacked differently than the generation that lived through it. I'm fascinated - hope we hear about him again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, for one, cannot wait to see what he comes up with.

    ReplyDelete