Sunday, March 15, 2020

Looking Backward

I spent a part of my day today working on the family tree my mother started on Ancestry.com. For those of you who are not familiar, the site adds little green leaves next to the name of family members to show that there is a hint, some as yet unlinked source that may provide information about that person. For me, these hints can be rabbit holes leading to facsimiles of hand-written census rolls, marriage or death certificates, or actual photos of gravesites and memorials. (Today I even found yearbook pictures of my sister and sister-in-law!)

I was lost in the past for at least 2 hours, exploring the lives of sailors, shoemakers, and inn keepers I never knew, but the fact that they were people that people I loved loved made everything seem quite relevant. And in these uncertain times, knowing how it all turned out was a comfort in itself.

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a very productive way to spend two hours. I love the line "knowing how it all turned out was a comfort in itself." Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing activity to do in these uncertain times. making connections is what gets us through-even those in the past. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the line, People that people I loved loved..." Love this exploration. Look forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you are doing is very necessary. Glad you shared the website too (Ancestry.com).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your family history is a novel of vivid characters as you go "exploring the lives of sailors, shoemakers, and inn keepers I never knew." That's a pretty great way to spend two or more hours.

    ReplyDelete