Thursday, March 26, 2020

Undefined

Heidi was nervous about her first video conference with her social skills students, so I postponed my morning walk with the dog to offer technical support should she need it. My plan was to head out as soon as she was successfully online, but it didn't turn out that way. I was riveted by the joy and excitement in the kids' voices as they connected on the call, and I stood in the kitchen with tears in my eyes listening as they went through their daily routine of highs and lows, sharing their personal trials and triumphs of these last two weeks.

As happy as I was to hear their voices, for the first time since this crisis began I felt a little unmoored.

What is a teacher without a class? 

4 comments:

  1. "unmoored" what a perfect word! This could very well be the word of the year! You paint the picture so quickly and with such precision that these few words are enough to paint a perfect slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! I've been feeling unmoored without the kids I usually support. So glad things went well for Heidi and crew! (Will's Social Skills crew had their first group contact yesterday as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, unmoored is exactly what I've been feeling. Each connection with a student steadies me a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question. It's so nice to read about their joy in connection. They miss school--who knew that would happen?

    ReplyDelete