Friday, March 6, 2020

In Formation

I heard the clattering honks before I saw them. It was impossible to ignore the raucous spectacle, and so I stopped to appreciate the ragged vee of fifty or so geese flying over my head this morning. As they flew, three or four of them detached from the rear at the same time the others slowed the pace to first swallow and then follow the new leaders. In the brief time they were in my line of sight this exchange happened twice.

Flying seems like hard work; how could it be otherwise?

I wondered why human beings don't use such a method more often. We are so focused on specialization that leadership has become a thing of its own, rather than a shared responsibility for the good of the group. And instead of being fluid, our hierarchies are often so rigid.

Soon enough, the geese were gone, efficiently winging their way to their common destination, and I returned my attention to earth.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing. Your geese offer life goals for us all. If only we could fly like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Clattering honks" is the perfect description of that sound! What a treat that you got to stand there and observe for a bit. I hear you on the need for shared leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Less a sound than a spectacle.)

    ReplyDelete