Saturday, March 7, 2020

Cures for the Cold

There was a chill in my bones that no number of steaming mugs could banish this morning. At 9 AM I blew into my hands, stamped my slippers, and still shivered in my layers.  I figured I had a choice: I could warm up through activity, or I could build a fire and pull up a fuzzy blanket. Outside my windows the sky was blue and the sun was bright, but the bend of the bare branches told another tale, one of biting breezes from the north.

Once a cheerful little blaze was burning in the fireplace, I stepped out to the wood rack to stock up on firewood before I got under that blanket. We were a bit low on small logs, so I began to split wood. As I swung the sledge, I remembered what my friend Rob used to tell me in college. Some people build small fires to stay warm. Other people build big fires and stay warm by chopping wood. I laughed, because I did feel warmer, especially out in that blue sky and sunshine.

Back inside, the cats and I enjoyed that fire for an hour or so, and then I took the dog and went hiking.

3 comments:

  1. I am in roasting hot, humid weather. Nothing I would romanticize more than fires, wood smell, being cold and snuggly and steaming mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saturday is the perfect day for a slow start to the day. I love the phrase, "cheerful little blaze."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to power through those chills! I love that you had your cat time first, then your dog time later.

    ReplyDelete