Thursday, March 7, 2024

Trial and Error

A colleague came into my room with a frustrated look on her face. "Do you have a minute to help me?" 

"What's the problem?" I asked.

She had copied a Word document with a data table, and she was having trouble removing the information so that she could reuse the table. "Can't you just highlight it and hit Delete?" I suggested.

"You would think," she sighed.

I went to her laptop and tried it myself, but she seemed to be right. "Hmmm," I said as I thought about the possible causes of the issue. I like to think of myself as pretty tech-savvy, but my know-how is all experiential: I figure it out as I go, building on whatever skills I've developed along the way. This particular problem-solving was slightly complicated by the fact that she uses a PC and I am team Apple, all the way. Even so, solutions to those kinds of things are usually pretty intuitive. 

Of course, my next move was to search it up, and I found loads of fixes, none of which made any sense. They all involved Function this or Shift Left that. Finally, I approached her keyboard myself to examine the situation, and scanning the top row of function keys, I noticed a tiny one labeled "Delete" right next to F12 and above Backspace. I tapped it and all the onerous old data disappeared!

As it turns out? Delete and Backspace are not the same thing. (Except on an Apple keyboard!)


3 comments:

  1. I know why the colleague came to you- you weren't going to give up until you figured it out! That's persistence. Who would have thought delete and backspace were different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone who has been at TJ more than a minute knows the doctor is always in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness, I remember that. I have always been a PC person, but for six years I had an Apple during one teaching job. I thought that was one of the weirdest parts of the Apple--no delete button. Good for you using your intuition to figure this problem out for your friend.

    ReplyDelete