Sunday, April 9, 2023

Congregation

When I was a child, Easter was one of the big three of holidays. Along with Christmas and Halloween, the preparation and celebration were almost mind-blowingly exciting: new outfits, family from out of town, egg-dying, easter baskets, and egg hunts. What kid could resist such merrymaking? 

Over the years, perhaps as the contents of my basket and my connection to the Catholic church declined, so did my celebration of Easter. Oh, there was egg-dying for many years, especially when my nephews and niece were younger, and for many years we would gather at my brother's in-laws for white borscht and brunch, but they have been gone some time now, and nowadays Easter is often just another Sunday at our house.

And if I don't miss the hunts, or the candy, or the egg-dying (although that is pretty fun), I do miss the fellowship and family. I guess we often use kids as an excuse to celebrate, but as infectious as their joy and fun may be, we are fooling ourselves if we forget the real reason we gather.

No comments:

Post a Comment