Friday, April 28, 2023

Rescue Me!

It was a crazy schedule today and a rainy Friday to boot. As part of the extra homeroom time we had because of the drama assembly, the sixth grade showed the first episode of a mini-series dramatization of the Thai soccer team that got stuck in the cave a few years ago. Students had recently read an article about the incident, so there was a curriculum connection, but the day was kind of shot after all that novelty of scheduling.

There was also some foul language and mature themes in the video, so at lunch, we teachers debated the wisdom of following the plan to show more episodes next week when we have another irregular schedule.

"I hate to be a dick," I said, "but I thought it was kind of shitty. I might have to stab myself in the neck if we watch any more." My colleagues laughed because I was citing some of the inappropriate parts of the show.

Later in the afternoon, I sat with the same group looking out at the rain. "I don't know about you guys," I started, "but if I were planning to visit a cave, I would think twice. You know there's got to be an intern out there begging her bosses to issue a weather advisory!"

"Wow!" one of the other teachers remarked. "That show really did make an impression on you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment