Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Tough Student

The young poets in my class were writing "How to" poems today, fanciful compositions that allow them to practice transition words and figurative language. Upon sharing their work, they were invited to do the bonus challenge, which today, in connection with their writing,  was to teach me how to do something. Oh, it was a fun day-- I learned how to draw a caricature of one of the kids, how to avoid getting called in class, and how to twist my fingers into a cobra. 

It was this last lesson that went a bit awry. "Put your hands like a steeple," my teacher demonstrated. "Now put your pinky and ring finger down."

So far, so good. I was following the directions and ready for the next step. "Now wrap your middle finger around the opposite ring finger," she instructed and twisted her fingers to show me. "Then cross your pinky and flip your wrists."

"Like this?" I said.

"Not quite," she answered patiently and showed me again.

"Like this?" I frowned.

She shook her head.

I tried again. And again. And again. All around me kids were lacing their fingers together, flipping theie wrists, and pinching them to their thumbs. 

"Your pinkies are the tongue," my teacher explained, "but you don't really have to do that part."

By this time I was laughing at my ineptitude, but my teacher remained calm and focused. When the bell rang, I gave her the Jolly Rancher despite the fact that her student failed the assessment. "You did everything right," I told her. "It was me."

"You can do it," she assured me. "You just need more practice."

Now, that's good teaching!

PostScript: Before I started writing, I tried to do the cobra again. I thought carefully about her directions and recalled the examples she had given. And what do you know? That viper was chomping before I knew it! I can't wait to show my teacher tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment