Saturday, April 29, 2023

Clocked Out

I started the day strong. Around 10:30, Treat and I headed over to a big box home improvement store where we picked up 10 bags of raised soil, along with a few other plants and such. 

Back at the garden, we carried the bags from the car to our plot, a fair distance to be sure. Then we finished building the raised beds, including sawing some old composter boards in half and pounding them into the ground. We dumped all the soil and compost and manure into the improved beds and then filled and hauled over several wheel barrel-fulls of mulch. Then we acidified the soil in one of the beds and planted a couple of blueberry bushes.

When we were done, we still needed a bit more topsoil, and I promised Treat I'd take him to lunch and out to another big box place that carried the tiered herb pot he needed. It was nearly 4 by the time we made it back to the car with our final flatbed cart loaded with bags of dirt. 

"Do you want to lift them together?" I asked Treat.

"Why don't we do it fire brigade style?" he joked. "I'll just toss them to you and you can put 'em in the car."

"I think I've reached the end of my usefulness for today," I said. "How about if I just put these two pots of herbs in?"

"Sure," he agreed and loaded the bags in the car. What an excellent nephew!

No comments:

Post a Comment