Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Cause or Effect?

Today was one of the few "anchor days" we have actually had this year. These are the Wednesday of a five-day week, so called because they balance block scheduling by slotting in every class in a single day. "I don't know how I ever did it," is a common sentiment heard around the lunch table about this compressed schedule, because for years, this was our default.

Now, because of holidays and other disruptions, we really have anchor days very infrequently. Perhaps it's the compression of the schedule that throws us off, or it could be that it's so novel to the students and so they behave in unexpected ways.

That was certainly true for me today. The kids seemed more boisterous and a lot less focused than usual. That situation, coupled with the abridged class times made the day a bit challenging. Even so, I got very little sympathy from my colleagues at lunch.

"The kids are nuts today!" I reported as I took my seat.

"Pretty sure they are nuts every day," my colleague laughed. "It is fourth quarter!"

No comments:

Post a Comment