Monday, April 24, 2023

That Sounds Good

As the warm up for a lesson on onomatopoeia I asked students what some of their favorite sounds are. I wondered if it would be too vague a question, but I was charmed by the responses they gave. 

Many were sports related: the thump of a perfectly kicked soccer ball, the crack of a bat, the grind of a skateboard's powerslide, the pop of a pickleball on the court, the swish of a basketball, the cry of "Gooooooaaaaaaaaallllll!" on the Telemundo soccer play-by-play.

Some were nature-related; lots of kids love to hear rain falling, waves crashing, snow crunching, and wind in the trees. 

Several mentioned the sounds of pets: a purring cat, a snorting frenchie; others named some noises of cooking: popcorn popping, bacon sizzling, a knife being sharpened; and some noted the joy of music: a Taylor Swift concert, Christmas carols. 

And a few kids? just enjoy the sound of silence. "Too bad we don't have much of that around here!" I joked.

"Yeah," a student agreed, "and I don't get much at home either, at least until my little brother goes to bed." Her eyes brightened a bit. "In fact," she laughed, "I want to change my answer. My favorite sound is actually the click of his bedroom door!"

No comments:

Post a Comment