Sunday, April 16, 2023

Ahead of Schedule

With grades due last Monday, no major projects due for a couple weeks, and warm weather here this weekend, I felt like I had time to spend time on gardening. 

First on my agenda was to get my hanging baskets planted and up. This year I decided to switch away from the ornamental metal and cocomat set up I have used for decades and go for more practical plastic hanging planters that won't wither without twice a day watering. It is an investment I'm looking forward to cashing in on whenever we return from travel this summer. 

Hopefully, my flowers and herbs will be healthy and well, even if the cat sitter "forgets" to go to the trouble of watering them daily. I'm also excited to get all the plants in now, mid-April, which is much earlier than has ever happened in the past. I think the extra weeks of springtime sunshine are going to do wonders. 

I also found time to get up to my garden and continue clearing the cover crop and weeding the walkways. I purchased a little stool to sit on as I labored, but my back was feeling good both before and after. The shallots and garlic that I started last fall are going gangbusters, and it's almost time to cut their scapes so that all of that energy will go into forming bulbs. 

The weather this week is looking good, and I have already enlisted Treat to skip the gym on Tuesday and work out with me in the garden instead. We have to take apart the compost bins, but what was once an irritant has now become an opportunity to repurpose them as another raised bed and some trellises for beans and squash.

All and all? My horticultural projects are looking bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment