Thursday, April 27, 2023

Don't Tread on Me

I'm having a hard time seeing the bright side of being a part of a bureaucratic community this week. After working so hard to make my garden compliant because of the new compost rules (Read all about it here! Or don't.) I spent a lot of time this week jumping through the hoops that comprise our teacher-evaluation system. 

As such, I have read a book I'm not particularly interested in and rushed through a webinar that I was, just to meet an arbitrary deadline for "floating" professional learning hours. I will also spend a large chunk of my weekend documenting my own competence, because it's up to teachers to not only do everything we should in the classroom, but prove it, too.

Even so, that's a battle that I'm tired of complaining about, and I was doing pretty well in spite of that old irritant until I looked out our window yesterday evening. "Where's the other car?" I asked Heidi, but the question was rhetorical, for it was clearly missing and I knew she had no idea where it was. We had to assume it had been towed for some violation of our hoa's parking policy. 

Thirty minutes later, after searching around, first for the new portal and then for my login info and finally for the towing company contact number, I was connected to a gruff voice who informed me that, yes, our car was there and had been since 3:09 am. It would cost 250.00 to retrieve and another 50 bucks a day until we picked it up.

"I'm pretty sure there's a hang tag on it," I said with an edge in my own voice, but she assured me that there was not.

"Maybe I knocked it off when I put the phone hanger up," Heidi mused, but I was enraged by yet another stupid policy that would cost me time and money and which benefits me not at all. 

I think it's time for me to move to a farm in Maine where I can make my own damn rules.

1 comment: