Monday, May 23, 2022

X is for X That Out

The end of the school year is always full of disruptions, and this year is no different. A combination of standardized tests and other special activities upset the routines that we have all come to expect. With a group of over one thousand souls, the logistics of such events can be tricky, and the resulting disturbances can be positive, negative, or neutral, depending on how they are managed. 

It is hard to go all in on a proposition that you see as flawed, especially if no one has solicited your input or even worse, your input has been overruled. The plans we have before us for the next three weeks fall into that category for me and several of my colleagues, but there is no such thing as trouble shooting when you aren't in the loop.

Many years ago I unsuccessfully resolved to strike the word "should" from my vocabulary. Today I don't remember my motivation then; the best I can reconstruct is some realization that very few people actually want advice, but it might have been the consistent accusations of bossiness from my brother, too. 

Either way, I realized today that my next 100 day challenge might be some form of eliminating that word from my discourse. 

Life Lesson: Some languages don't even have the concept of *should*. Maybe they are on to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment