Tuesday, May 3, 2022

I is for It Comes Around

Back when we were self-centered children, I can remember my brother or sister or me asking a rather bratty question: "We have Mothers Day and Fathers Day," I'm sure we noted, "so how come there's no Kids Day?"

"Every day is kids day," my parents answered, one or both, and we begrudgingly left it at that.

I thought about those days this morning when one of my homeroom students made a similar inquiry. "We principal appreciation week and counselor appreciation week and teacher appreciation week," she sighed. "So when's student appreciation week?"

I resisted the urge to answer her just as my parents had answered us, but I did shrug and say, "Everything we do here at school is for you and your education. If we didn't appreciate you, I guess we wouldn't be here."

To which she scoffed, clearly unconvinced.

Life Lesson: When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years." ~Mark Twain.

No comments:

Post a Comment