Sunday, May 29, 2022

Life Imitates Life

Since Survivor first aired in 2000, Heidi and I have seen every single one of the 42 seasons. Even so, I wouldn't call us super fans so much as super critics. In fact, here's what I wrote about the show back in 2009:

...the mixture of conniving, false alliances, physical strength, and sheer force of will was riveting. I still watch today, although I confess that there comes a point in every season where I declare my hatred for the show and its premise, and I swear I'll never watch again. It's ageist. It's sexist. It's racist. Contestants are forever getting their feelings bruised by others who excuse their hurtful behavior by insisting that it's just a game or that there are a million reasons why they've done what they have. There's no such thing as trust in Survivor. It's not fair. It never turns out the way I want it to. Still, I watch.

For the first two decades of reality TV, most shows seemed to focus on or exploit the worst of humanity, but I have noticed a shift lately. My evidence is purely anecdotal and based only on the two shows that I watch, Survivor and Top Chef, but in the past season, both of those programs have had the most congenial and respectful casts I have ever seen on reality TV. Win or lose, they are thoughtful, introspective, complimentary of the competition, and most of all, grateful for the opportunity and the experience being on the show has offered them. 

My theory is that ever since we actually elected a reality TV personality president, we have been exposed to so much nastiness in our real public discourse, that we don't need to see it on TV, but my hope is that there is a change coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment