Saturday, May 7, 2022

V is for Vintage

I was listening to American Top 40 as I ran my errands today. An archived episode from this week in 1979, I knew right away it would be the usual mix of little-known records and monster hits from the summer I graduated from high school. Number 40 was a remake of a 1963 Ben E. King single that had also been covered by Tom Jones 8 years earlier, I Who Have Nothing. I had never heard any of the three versions before, and this disco version was pretty terrible. 

Not to worry, though. Entering the countdown at #39 was Old Time Rock and Roll by Bob Seeger. I tried to imagine someone tuning in 43 years ago and hearing that anthem for the first time, but honestly? It was nearly impossible to remember a time when that classic didn't exist.

Life Lesson: Everything old was new once.

No comments:

Post a Comment