Wednesday, May 11, 2022

S is for Strict

 "I can't make the writing challenge,"  a student reported to me today. "I've missed too many days."

"It's true," I agreed. "There aren't enough days left in the school year. I guess that's both a blessing and a curse."

He nodded. "A blessing because we'll be on summer vacation, and a curse because no prize for me."

"It's also a little sad for me because I have to say good-bye to you guys since you're moving up to seventh grade. I'm going to miss you!"

"Wait!" interjected another student. "You actually like us?"

I laughed, but I could see that the student was sincere and her remark hit home and hurt my heart a little. "Yeah I like you!" I told the class. "You guys are one of the best groups I've ever taught!" 

Although there were a few who were clearly pleased, there were others who seemed skeptical. "Just because I don't let you go off the rails doesn't mean I don't like you," I explained.

"It's actually the opposite," one student agreed.

"It really is," I said.

Life Lesson: Subtext is crucial.

No comments:

Post a Comment