Friday, May 6, 2022

B is for Bad News

This year, I have one of my favorite homeroom groups ever. It is a fun combination of of sweet and salty and quirky. They are generally engaged in whatever we are doing, although not always in a positive way. For example when the planned activity was yet another dive into current events, many could not keep their displeasure quiet. 

"What's wrong with knowing about the world?" I asked.

 "Nothing," answered one, "except it's always bad news!"

"Let's look more carefully," I suggested, scrolling through the recommended websites.

"Russia, Ukraine, climate change, inflation," she intoned, reading the headlines.

"You're right," I agreed and typed good news today into the search bar. I got a hit on the Good News Network and clicked over with curiosity. Baby Eagle Rescued, No Mow Lawn, Giant Jellyfish, Widow Finds Late Husband's Ring Under Apple Tree.

"Yeah," someone else sighed. "Not a lot better."

"Why don't we play LRC," I suggested.

"For candy?" they clarified.

"You bet!" I answered.

Life Lesson: When hit with bad news, pivot.

No comments:

Post a Comment