Sunday, May 8, 2022

T is for Timeline

I listened to Sea of Tranquility, the latest novel by Emily St. John Mandel, loved it and learned there were characters in it from a previous novel The Glass Hotel. After enjoying that audiobook as well, I downloaded Station Eleven, even though I had already seen the television adaptation. I also listened to Mandel's interview with Ezra Kline on his NYTimes podcast, and they mentioned The Candy House by Jennifer Egan, so I paused Station Eleven and listened to that book. 

Turns out The Candy House is also a sequel of sorts to A Visit from the Goon Squad, which I am listening to now. Truth be told? It's a bit confusing and unsatisfying going in reverse order, but memory and time are themes of all four books. This approach also provides an opportunity to revisit the later books with a new perspective, evoking memory and time on a personal level.

I like that.

Life Lesson: Gμν = 8πG Tμν (Or, time is an illusion that moves relative the observer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment