Wednesday, May 4, 2022

A is for At Leisure

After working at my desk until nearly 5, I was eager to get home, lace up my sneakers and take a walk. My preference is always to walk somewhere for something, and this evening it was a quick trip to the grocery store. Heidi was still changing and getting her clothes ready for tomorrow when I sang out a cheerful see you later and headed out the door. 

I stuffed my list in my side pocket and my AirPods into my ears and climbed the steps out of our complex and over the hill to the grocery just a little under a mile away. There I quickly gathered the items on my list, scanned, bagged, paid, and exited the store on my return trip. It was only waiting at the light to cross King Street that I realized I did not have my house keys, so I texted Heidi and hoped for the best. 

But the door was locked when I got home;  Heidi was running, her watch and phone too busy tracking her activity to receive my texts. Our neighbors with the spare key were not home either, so I took a seat on the milk box and began to type this entry on my phone. A couple of paragraphs in I was startled by our neighbor rounding the corner to climb the stoop. 

She was startled too. "I did not expect to see you there!" she laughed. "I was just coming over to borrow some printer paper." 

When I explained my predicament, she went to fetch the key. Opening the front door at last, I found Tibby and Milo waiting, more wide eyed than usual. "Why didn't you come in?" I could imagine them asking me. 

"I was locked out!" I told them, and then went to fetch some paper.

Life Lesson: Make the best of any situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment