Sunday, May 15, 2022

O is for Overdoing It

How glad I was when I pulled my gardening clothes on at 3 this afternoon, leaving behind hours of grading and planning! I hadn't intended to go to the garden until later, but a colleague had texted,  reminding me of her offer of rhubarb and peppers to plant, so off I went. Stopping first at her home to pick up my seedlings, I headed directly to the garden afterward. 

By then the clouds had cleared, and the day was warm and a bit muggy. A slight breeze made the work bearable, but it was a balmy hour and half later that I coiled the hoses, snipped the peonies to bring home to Heidi, and locked the gate behind me. 

Once the flowers were safely arranged in a mason jar, there were still a couple of errands to run and after washing up I went back out to the grocery and garden center. Arriving home after 6, I finished planting the hanging baskets on our deck and started dinner. 

And just now, as the gumbo simmers and I settled wearily into my chair to compose this daily missive, I had the notion that it all might have been a little too much.

Life Lesson: Too much of a good thing is still too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment