Thursday, May 19, 2022

Q is for Quest for Pao de Queijo

One thing that still amazes me about the global economy and online shopping is the ease with which I can obtain specialty ingredients from all over the country and the world. Even in our very cosmopolitan area, there are still some things it is hard to come by, especially without visiting several of the many international markets around. So black garlic, organic beeswax, pizza flour and crushed tomatoes from Italy, celery vinegar, glacéed cherries, and specially processed coffee, and more have all been delivered directly to my door.

My latest acquisition is 2 pounds of sour cassava flour (polvilho azedo). Made from the same root that produces tapioca, which is known variously as cassava, manioc, and yuca, this type of flour is fermented before it is dried. A common usage for polvilho azedo is in a Brazilian quick bread called pão de queijo. Essentially a version of the pate choux and cheese puffs known as gougere, these crisp little bites are often served hot out of the oven for breakfast.

When first I read of the dish on Kitchn,

I had my first pão de queijo at a Brazilian restaurant in Atlanta over five years ago, and I still dream about it. It was crispy outside but amazingly soft and chewy inside, and its cheese flavor was so haunting that I had to eat several more just to fix it in my mind 

the description was irresistible, and I knew I had to make them myself. I had cassava flour in the pantry from a vegetable gnocchi recipe that I've made a few times, but I quickly discovered that although it was possible to substitute the "sweet" variety I had, the fermented version was preferred. Fortunately, a quick internet search revealed that I could order the real stuff from Brazil and have it here in Virginia within a couple of weeks.

So guess what's on the menu tonight?

Life Lesson: It's a small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment