Thursday, September 8, 2022

Choppers

When we were kids, my mom took us to the dentist every six months, without fail, and going to Dr. Jacobs was never bad. We read Highlights magazine in the waiting room and picked out a lollipop after our exam. (Yes! A lollipop! I guess he wanted to secure repeat customers.) And I remember my mom praising the flouride in our water for ensuring our heathy teeth, almost like it was a talisman warding off whatever happened to my dad, who had full dentures by the age of 27.

At any rate, maybe I'm a weirdo, but I still kind of like going to the dentist. I'm sure it helps that I don't have sensitive teeth, in fact I've literally never experienced pain while at the dentist, but I also really appreciate a system that efficiently schedules me every six months, and over the years, I have only missed one regular appointment, and that was because I was out of town for my mother's funeral. 

Even so, I am not immune to the pressure that health professionals seem to naturally apply. The practice I go to touts their sensitivity in their slogan, We cater to cowards,  and the employees are clearly advised to never shame the patients for their hygiene practices. An attentive patient, however, can probably read between the lines when described as having "sensitive gums" after confessing that she does not floss regularly.

And it is indeed flossing that is my weak spot when it comes to dental care. I like to think that it's because I still have my wisdom teeth, and that makes it exceptionally tough to thread my teeth with that length of waxed string, but it could be laziness, too. After running that electric toothbrush over my pearly whites for 2 minutes, I'm ready for bed.

But regular readers may remember, that last March, when my students embarked on their annual 100 day writing challenge, I challenged myself to floss for 100 days. Ever the creature of habit, I succeeded in my challenge, and have continued it, so I was especially eager to go to the dentist today. I wanted to see if Danny, my regular hygienist, would notice any difference.

To be honest? I didn't really think it would make a big difference, but the minute he looked in my mouth, he was even more positive than usual. And when the dentist came in to do his 2 minute check? He gave me the thumbs up. "Keep doing what you're doing," he said over his shoulder as he tossed his exam gloves into the waste bin. "Enjoy the fall and the holidays, and we'll see you next spring!"

No comments:

Post a Comment