Friday, September 16, 2022

Okay Millie

A colleague who is more than a couple decades younger than I stopped by my room at lunch today to touch base about a few weekend social events with one of my lunch buddies (let's call her Jan) who recently celebrated her 50th birthday. You must forgive me for eavesdropping, but I was present for the entire conversation which culminated in a description of a housewarming party for another colleague that the younger was invited to that might possibly conflict with another gathering they were both planning on attending. 

"I don't see myself staying that long," she shook her head. "There's going to be a lot of jenzies there."

She laughed dismissively, and I know I rolled my eyes up and to the right as I tried to use context to decipher that unfamiliar word. What are jenzies and why do we want to avoid them? I thought.

Then I laughed. I knew the hostess of the housewarming, recently 30 herself, had just moved in with her younger boyfriend, and his friends? Were Gen Z. And while I couldn't fully appreciate the nuance of her displeasure, I did find the fact that 30-somethings consider 20-somethings a bit annoying, a good reminder.

But I wonder what the Jenzies think?


No comments:

Post a Comment