Friday, September 30, 2022

Says Who?

 The American education system is failing its students," a sixth grader told me the other day.

"How's that?" I asked.

"It was created over a hundred years ago," he told me rapidly, "and it hasn't changed at all since then. It is preparing students for minimum wage jobs that won't be here in ten years, because robots will do them."

"Better give me your iPad then," I said, "you don't need that to prepare for a non-existent job."

He blinked.

"No really," I said. "Where's your evidence for this claim?"

"Oh, I have lots of evidence," he assured me. "Lots."

"Like what?" I probed.

"The system was created over a hundred years ago, and it hasn't changed," he repeated.

"I know for a fact that it has changed," I told him. "It's changed in the 30 years I've been teaching in it, not to mention the time before that when I was a student myself."

"The jobs we're preparing for won't exist!" he insisted.

"Maybe not," I agreed, "but that's why we're teaching you how to think and problem solve, and to find and evaluate the information you need for that," I told him. "So where is your evidence and what is the source of it?"

But it was a debate I couldn't win, because he was stuck on his premise, so I told him we could discuss it more later. Still, when I saw him next a couple of days later, I just couldn't resist needling him a bit. "Good morning!" I welcomed him brightly to class. "Here I am, ready to fail you another day!"

To his credit, he laughed, and I did, too, especially knowing that our argument unit is coming up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment