Thursday, September 22, 2022

Fear Itself

After the test today, the kids were squirmy and rambunctious. It didn't help matters any in my class that we were kicking off a new unit about courage, and so the question of the day was What is something you think is scary?

Of course everyone had lots of ideas and comments, but no one seemed capable of listening to anyone else, so I redirected the group several times in my booming teacher voice, and fine-tuned the attention of several individuals with personal reminders. 

When one kid who had been talking over others the whole time finally got his turn to share, he said, "I'm afraid of small places, and--" he turned to look purposefully at me, "strict teachers."

"If only that were true," I said, "it would be a lot quieter in here!"

No comments:

Post a Comment