Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Sweet Nothings

Another week, another round of state and local mandated universal testing at school. Since the beginning of the year our middle school students have been required to take a math inventory, a reading growth assessment and inventory, a reading standards assessment, and they have a math standards assessment scheduled for Thursday. 

Since today and Thursday's tests were all-school, we followed a modified schedule with 90 minutes of testing followed by shortened block classes. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I planned my lessons and activities, but it should have been something along the lines of, They will have been sitting silently for hours; don't try to get much done!

Even posting a picture of their favorite candy for a warm up took way longer than it should have, and the pent up energy in the room made what should have been a fun and easy conversation a little nasty and tense. In both sections I had to remind the group that I didn't ask what they thought the best candy was, I asked for their favorites. "Can there really be any debate about that?" I wondered pointedly.

And although they dutifully admitted that all of us are welcome to our opinion, there was still a lot of trash talking, especially the cookies-n-cream bar. "I hate white chocolate!" one kid groaned loudly.

"Who asked you?" I inquired in reply.

They were just being contrary. Because when I offered each a chance to speak on behalf of their favorite, not many chose to say much, besides, The picture speaks for itself.

Maybe so, but not many were listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment