Wednesday, September 21, 2022

As a Bird

My friend, who is in town from Colorado, lives in a small exurban town, and so the numerous shared bikes and scooters and sitting scooters that dot the streets of our much more urban community were all new to her. 

Free from the troubling considerations of how dockless vehicles can become a nuisance or worse, all my friend saw was how much fun they looked, and I in turn realized how jaded I have become in the years since I could barely pass a scooter without unlocking it and taking it for a weeeeeeee ride. 

And so we spent our afternoon scootering all around town, down bike lanes, on paved trails, through parks, and along city streets, pausing to admire views of the airport, the monuments, and the river, and even stopping at the grocery store before scootering home. 

"This is so much fuuuuuun!" my friend shouted more than a few times.

The final leg of our adventure took us up a big hill, and I made it to the top a minute or more before she did.

"A car cut me off," my friend reported. 

"Oh," I laughed, "I was sure you were going to tell me your thumb was sore from coming up such a big hill!"

"I have to admit," she lifted her right hand from the throttle and wiggled the thumb, "it is getting quite a workout!"

No comments:

Post a Comment