Thursday, April 7, 2022

Hai Praise

The sixth grade assistant principal was visiting one of my English classes the other day when I was conferring with a sixth grade writer about the plot chart she had created for the children's book that she is working on. 

"My main character is a girl in third grade," she told me.

"What does she want?" I asked.

"She wants to do science and math and engineering," she answered.

"Why can't she?" I responded. "What's stopping her?"

"She lives in a place that doesn't support girls who want that," she replied.

"Where is it?" I said. "What's your setting?"

"I don't know? Texas?" she suggested. "Isn't everyone sexist in Texas?"

"Well..." I started.

"That sounds like a country song to me!" noted the AP with a laugh as she slipped out the door on her way to visit another class.

No comments:

Post a Comment