Thursday, April 21, 2022

It's the Little Things

"Do you have a stylus I can borrow?" one of my homeroom students asked this morning.

"I think I do," I said, and went over to open my top desk drawer. Another student was standing nearby as I rummaged through a collection of pens and pencils that was probably twice her age. "Here ya go!" I said, producing a stylus that was a teacher appreciation gift about 5 years ago.

"You have so much stuff in there!" the student said, and agreeably I started to pull a few of the trinkets out. There was a fidget counter that everyone competed with to see who could get the most clicks in 30 seconds. There were 2 yo-yos and a rubber popper that were also very popular. Way in the back I found the working catapult-pencil sharpener that a friend brought back from England a decade or so ago. I also had some clown noses that I bought at the suggestion of one of my homeroom students in 2011 as prizes for a joke-telling contest. 

"Why do you have all that?" asked one of the kids.

"Because it's fun!" I answered. 

He couldn't argue with that logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment