Monday, April 11, 2022

Membership Has its Privileges

Three days before the world shut down in 2020 I was on a field trip to Mount Vernon. The outing was an annual event, and I had been to George Washington's home many times. That day in March was warm and sunny, and in my memory everyone had a good time and learned a lot. The bus ride home was a little bumpy, but kids were singing and laughing all the way back to school.

Sometimes I wonder if that will be the last field trip I ever take-- my career is waning and resources for such activities were waning, too, even before COVID. There may be another ride on a yellow bus or two in my future, but probably not too many.

Today, though, on our unplanned spring break staycation, Heidi and I took Lucy to Mount Vernon. The estate is privately run by the Mount Vernon Ladies Association, and they, like George Washington himself, welcome dogs on the property. Years ago we had annual passes because our first dog, Isabel, was so fond of the farm and its animals; we used to hop in the car and head down the parkway just to spend an hour or so strolling the grounds.

Today it seemed right to purchase a two-year membership, which comes with unlimited visits. Even though Lucy had never been there before, Heidi rightly assumed she would love it. Seeing Lucy joyful and engaged makes Heidi happy, and the sun was shining, the sky was blue, we watched an eagle build her nest in the top of a tall tree, and the mansion and grounds seemed just as I left them 2 years ago. 

I think we made a good investment.

1 comment:

  1. What a great day to have a visit with George, Martha, and the gang.

    ReplyDelete