Saturday, April 16, 2022

Check, Check, and Check

Unintentionally, the theme of this spring break has become checking things off the not since COVID list. Monday was a visit to Mt. Vernon, Wednesday was the movies, and today Heidi and I drove the hour it takes to visit my Aunt Harriett. She is my mom's sister, and at 85 is the last survivor of that generation on my sister, my brother and my side of the family. I last saw her in February of 2020, right before everything shut down. A few days later, she and her husband moved from the home she had lived in since 1962 to a nearby retirement community. 

In the 2 years since, we've face-timed and spoken on the phone, but it didn't really compare to that big hug I got this afternoon and the smell of the perfume she's been wearing all my life. It was a fun afternoon, and we stayed longer than we planned to. Before we left, we made plans to meet again soon for some genealogy research and lunch at the American Legion in Greenbelt. 

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment