Friday, April 1, 2022

April Foolin'

Ordinarily? I am not a big fan of April Fool's Day, but yesterday when I was looking for a fun challenge, I read several pranks that teachers could pull on their students. Before I left for the day I jotted the words "Flood Drill" on a post-it note as a possibility, should the opportunity arise. 

I was reminded of my plan when the kids on the morning announcements played a few silly April Fool's jokes, and so when the program was over, I stood up from my desk and walked out to the middle of the room. "You guys we have a drill today," I said seriously, in the same tone I always use to inform them of such things.

"What is it?" asked one student.

"It's a flood drill," I answered.

"A flood drill!" she replied. "I've never heard of that."

"Maybe because of COVID you missed it?" I suggested. "Has anyone else ever done one?"

They hadn't, and I would have gotten away with the whole prank except that when it came time to tell them they had to stand on their chairs, I started to laugh so hard I couldn't give the directions.

"You have to do better!" they scolded me. 

"I almost believed it!" someone agreed.

So when the next class came in, the kids from my homeroom helped out. "We have a drill today," I started.

"That's right," said one of them. "She told us about it. She got a note in her mailbox."

They were so convincing, that they pulled me along, too. "When they announce the drill over the loud speaker, you have to stand on your chair," I explained. "But if it were a real flood, lifeboats would drop out of the ceiling."

"Lifeboats!" exclaimed an incredulous girl. "Why can't we just walk out?"

"Because of the electrical wires," I said seriously. "It's too dangerous! You have to step from your chair to the lifeboat and then paddle it down the hall the same way we go for a fire drill."

"Really?" I saw them looking at each other doubtfully. 

"Yes," I continued, "unless you're on the swim team. Then you have to report to the nearest bathroom and flush the toilets over and over to keep the water level down. You are the designated flushers! When the whole building is evacuated, you can swim to safety."

"Why can't we just open the window to let the water out?" somebody said.

"The lifeboats won't work if there isn't enough water!" I told them.

Most of them were laughing now, and I was too. 

"Are you ready to practice?" I asked them. "Attention! This is a flood drill!"

They climbed on their chairs. 

"Great job!" I congratulated them. "You're ready for the flood drill!"

"When is it?" asked someone.

The other kids rolled their eyes. "April Fools!" they roared.

1 comment: