Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Tarnished

We decided to go to the movies today. 

What a couple of years ago would have been a non-decision, based only on what was playing at what time and how many seats were left, today's plans involved the calculus of how empty the theater was and whether or not to wear a mask. The movie we chose for our re-engagement with the theater was well-reviewed and sounded like something we might like: Michelle Yeoh starring in Everything, Everywhere, All at Once. At the last minute, we invited Treat, and he met us there. 

"This is the first movie we've been to since COVID," I told him as we settled into our recliners. There were only 3 other people in the theater besides us. 

"Congratulations," he said.

The trailer reel began rolling right then, and, in the third row, I wondered if I had chosen seats a little too close: everything was so big and loud and hard to focus on. Heidi was munching on some cheese corn which we both agreed tasted a little off, and I adjusted and readjusted my seat, trying to find the sweet spot I thought I remembered. 

25 minutes later, after a weird tribute to going to the movies featuring Nicole Kidman, as well as the inexplicable repeat of the first preview, the house lights dimmed and the movie started.

"What did I just see?" Heidi asked, when the end credits began their crawl over 2 hours later.

"I'm not sure," Treat answered.

"I didn't love it," I agreed, "and I'm not sure I liked it either. I'm going to need some time to think about it."

1 comment:

  1. It’s a weird experience, isn’t it?! I did not love my first movie since COVID - it was too long, and I was too restless.

    ReplyDelete