Saturday, April 2, 2022

Cultural History Lesson

As an IB MYP school, part of our mission is to raise awareness in students of organizations that serve the community, so the homeroom lesson the other day was to explore the local animal welfare league website. The kids were most interested in browsing the animals that they have for adoption, and spent a few minutes scrolling through profiles of cats and dogs, and bunnies, guinea pigs and hamsters, too. 

"I like the names of the Hamsters!" I said. "Bobby? Cindy? Greg? They are kind of quirky!" But when I saw the next two hamsters, Jan and Marcia, I literally slapped my forehead. "Oh! Duh! It's the Brady Bunch!"

"What's the Brady Bunch?" asked one of the students.

"You don't know?" I replied with an incredulous head tilt. "Really?"

I looked around the room. "Has anybody ever heard of the TV show the Brady Bunch?"

"Maybe?" said a single student. "But I've never seen it."

"It's about this guy who has three sons and this woman who has..." I started, and then paused and opened a new tab on the browser to pull up a few videos. The opening credits and theme song sort of rang a few bells.

"It's so old, though," noted one kid. "Why would you expect us to know it?"

"Because it's classic!" I replied hitting play on the Marcia, Marcia, Marcia scene. "This part is practically a meme!"

Now I was talking their language! They were watching Jan complain about her big sister when another teacher from the team came in to borrow a lap top. "Mr. G!" called a student. "Have you ever heard of the Brady Bunch?"

"Oh yeah," he waved his hand dismissively. "My mother loved that show."

No comments:

Post a Comment